Sunday, May 10, 2009

Caviar Pie, Appatizer Exotique That All Love

I grew up in a rural part of California where there was little opportunity to expand my culinary interests. In high school, already addicted to creative food, I enrolled in a cooking course at the local community center. I don't know the name of the woman who taught the course, but forty years later I am still using her recipes!

After all my travels and moves around the globe I have saved little from my youth. But my close friend, Carolyn Kelso, with whom I shared those recipes has given them back to me. The one that we both continue to make today, and which we both relish because it is a hit at all potlucks and parties, is caviar pie.

It is simple, elegant, tasty and different. It is incredibly easy to make, to carry to a party, and to serve. Wherever I serve it, virtually everyone asks me for the recipe. I only wish I still had the name of the woman from whom I got it so I can give her credit.

Even people who say that hate caviar love this dish. Try it and you will see!

I now use a food processor even for all parts, giving a creamy, dreamy sensation to each layer.

CAVIAR PIE

Oil quiche or spring-form pan. I like to use a spring-form pan so the layers are high and fully revealed when serving.

1st Layer
6 lg hard-boiled eggs
3T mayo
Mix together in a processor or by hand, spread over the bottom of the pan

2nd layer
Green onions, finely chopped, they can be coarsely chopped in a food processor
Spread over the egg layer

3rd Layer
2/3 c sour cream
8 oz soft cream cheese (or low-fat cream cheese)
Blend in a processor or with a mixer. Spread on top of the onion layer

Let set for at least 4 hours in fridge, or overnight

Right before serving:
Top with 2 8oz jar Danish lumpfish caviar, drained—(drain the liquid off in a strainer)

Garnish with chopped parsley or chives

Serve with fine crackers or baguettes

2 comments:

  1. Elaine,

    I just prepared this pie with good friends here in NYC and I thought I was going to have to take a very cold shower while eating it!! Orgasmic!!

    Went very well with bottles of 2007 Chateau de la Fessardiere Muscadet. One friend held out for his bottle of Gerwurtztraminer from the Alsace (can't remember what vintner or year) and sang the combining with his pie's praises.

    Dessert was simple, pooched (we were poached after the wine!) pears, butter, brown sugar and some lemon zest with a smidge of cream. Then a light cheese plate...

    The wierd at first but surprise hit was chamomile grappe! and espressos. The first sip converted us all to this new find and we imagined that the chamomile helped digest the rich flavors of the evening.

    Thank you for sharing your teacher's caviar gem.

    Keep the recipes coming! I'll keep the shower stall clean for cold showers mid-meals!!

    Warren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had the great pleasure to sample Caviar Pie when visiting a good friend in Santa Fe... wow, what a crowd pleaser!! There were other appetizers at the party but the CP saw the most action, everyone moaning with pleasure as the delicious flavors expressed themselves in each palette. Our hostess was certainly a hit for showing and sharing such good taste!
    Jeffery

    ReplyDelete